The last 3 days involved travel to and from Denver. I used my innate knowledge of climatology (a simple Meteorologist super-power) for early March and came up with 2 basic scenarios for what to expect in Colorado. I figured it would be either cold and more winter like (think highs in the 40s), or pleasant and early-spring like (this is how OK had been the previous days). For either scenario, I would likely need my jacket (it would probably still be cold in the evenings) and long pants would be fine. It turns out I was correct. The weather was great with sunny days in the upper 60s.
Avoiding weather information is a bit more difficult when traveling. Both national and local weather forecasts are plastered all over the airport and in the hotel where I stayed. I had to remind myself not to casually look at any TV screens, lest I inadvertently see a forecast. Somewhat comically, the Weather Channel was the default channel that came up every time I turned on my hotel room TV. There was a lady in the line to board the airplane that had never been to OKC before. She started discussing local attractions with another lady in line. Eventually the conversation got around to what the forecast was for this week and I had to quickly put my figures in my ears and block them out.
Lastly, I felt very strange not checking Radarscope before my flights to see if there was rain at either destination. I had a similar feeling upon returning home today; it looked like rain for most of the afternoon in OKC. So far, this experiment has forced me to be a bit more prepared. I bring a jacket with me most everywhere, and I'm becoming more comfortable with not checking radar every time it looks like rain.
We'll see what this week brings!
Avoiding weather information is a bit more difficult when traveling. Both national and local weather forecasts are plastered all over the airport and in the hotel where I stayed. I had to remind myself not to casually look at any TV screens, lest I inadvertently see a forecast. Somewhat comically, the Weather Channel was the default channel that came up every time I turned on my hotel room TV. There was a lady in the line to board the airplane that had never been to OKC before. She started discussing local attractions with another lady in line. Eventually the conversation got around to what the forecast was for this week and I had to quickly put my figures in my ears and block them out.
Lastly, I felt very strange not checking Radarscope before my flights to see if there was rain at either destination. I had a similar feeling upon returning home today; it looked like rain for most of the afternoon in OKC. So far, this experiment has forced me to be a bit more prepared. I bring a jacket with me most everywhere, and I'm becoming more comfortable with not checking radar every time it looks like rain.
We'll see what this week brings!
Comments
Post a Comment